“What to eat” is a big challenge for patient during their lung cancer treatment. In most cases, this has been observed that nausea, lack of appetite, pain in throat makes eating difficult for the patient. With simple cooking and cancer diet tips, meal ideas can help the patient to swallow food much easily under treatment. So along with medications, it is very much important to know about the food diet and cooking tips.
Now let us quickly know what kind of foods to include in Lung cancer patient meal according to the lung cancer doctors in India:
In most cases, radiation therapy in the chest is required for a the patient, which at times cause esophageal issues. If someone who is taking care of cancer patient or undergoing treatment should follow the diet mentioned below:
- Never include food which is acidic, bitter, or spicy in nature — like most citrus fruits as well as tomato-based foods items.
- Try to escape food items with sharp edges or rough texture, including vegetables, nuts, and raw vegetables.
- It is advisable to keep handy food items which are soft or semi-soft, as such food diet will not affect the throat.
- Now comes the big question, how one can prepare meals for lung cancer patient helping them to intake food easily. It is easier said than done, so let us share some of the cooking tips for patients to make food way too lighter and easier for them to swallow.
- Try out the thicker liquid food items — milkshake will be a better option rather than a glass of milk, blend potatoes with soups to make it bit thicker; these food items are easier to swallow.
- In between try to drink plenty of fluids.
- Steam-up green vegetables to make them soft, so that a patient can easily chew it.
- Eat frequent, smaller meals throughout the day, rather than three large ones.
- Try out protein rich diet for better healing.
- For patient who is nauseated give them plain & mild food items.
- Make sure that the patient is getting enough calories to get the required energy. Encourage them to eat to keep proper nutrition, cancer-fighting foods like broccoli, avocados, raspberries, beets, apples and tomatoes should be included in the meal. Observe if the food intake is reduced over the period of time; consult a doctor immediately.
- As a precautionary step, stop smoking, avoid any form of tobacco usage, get rid of an unhealthy lifestyle as these factors can increase the chance of the cancer by 30% and in case if you face issues while swallowing food; take immediate action and get in touch with a doctor. Cancer detected at the initial stage has more chances of survival.
Yes, the treatment can be costly and that is why people get too much indulged into lung cancer treatment cost forget the crucial aspects to focus. It is absolutely vital to know the complete treatment process, medications, food diet and cooking tips instead of getting into panic mode. On an average, the cost of Lung Cancer treatment in India would be around USD 6000 – USD 8500 in NABH & JCI accredited hospitals.